Wednesday, November 01, 2006

BLACK MAN'S INTERRACIAL ROMANCE

I’m an advocate of same culture relationships. I didn’t come by this conclusion easily. I had to live it to understand it. The main reason is not because of some “racial” idea of superiority or maintenance of skin color, but for the preservation and restoration of cultural ideas, along with the desire to not be controlled by an ideology that is not to my “spiritual” likening.

When I said I didn’t come by this conclusion easily, I meant that I have been involved in some serious “interracial” relationships. I even married a white woman, but I will admit that decision was not based entirely on emotions. Hell, there was even a time when white women where harder to kick than my cocaine and cigarette habit (I suppose that’s why they call coke, white lady), but I was able to rid my mind of all three, although I still have urges for the latter two.

I hope my attitude will not be interpreted as racist or even separatist. That’s not my intent because I do like many white folk. However, I’d like them better if the prevailing racial stereotypes concomitant with America’s historical and contemporary social attitudes weren’t present. And this is one reason why interracial relationships should be put on hold for blacks and whites. I say blacks and whites because other cultures suffer the ills of white supremacy too.

No matter how much I cared for, made love to, got involved with white women, in the back of their minds, I was still the cultural other and they were still white women. It showed in many ways that I chose to ignore. For example, when something appeared on T.V. that portrayed a black person in a negative light, she would look at me with linking eyes making me feel somehow unworthy and even if it was in my own mind, living in this culture promotes such aberrations. When we discussed racial issues, she just couldn’t get the essence of European culture and behavior towards non whites and she had the weight of the world to support her position. She just couldn’t understand white supremacy in its totality and at the time, neither did I. I say neither did I because I got off fucking the white skinned, white man’s woman, that image that was burned in my brain from birth.

In my humble opinion, this is why black/white interracial unions are dangerous for black culture. It trivializes the black and promotes the white. It’s just another avenue to demean the “African-ness” in black people to the point where it means nothing, has no value, therefore can be expendable. And judging from our behavior, we are true to course in expediting our own, first cultural, and perhaps later, physical expendability.

In my final analysis, the only thing that I see as a saving grace, so we won’t go the way of the Blacks in Argentina and other Central and South American countries is to separate. We should build our own cultural ideals with our own world views based on a revised historical cultural essence, then, when we are culturally strong and economically secure, intermingle with the European culture. At that point we can marry, live with, cohabitate with whites and not lose the most important thing a human being can possess, his cultural self esteem and self determination.

No comments: