Thursday, October 04, 2007

Freedom American Style

Each day I hear on some media outlet how America is fighting for its freedom. Riding in my truck this morning I had the opportunity to think about our freedom and what it means to me. I thought that yes, I’m free. I’m free to be exploited by people whose world view is predominated by the need for power and control. Freedom in the true sense of the word is impossible under this system. How can I be free when theoretically I even pay for the air I breathe? Every waking moment is spent on some form of making or spending money to live and to live I must breath. So how free am I?

During my mental sojourn in my car this morning I also came by a sign that had three Christian crosses and under it the caption read, “Get Connected.” After having my thoughts about freedom, to read this just added more mental stress. Get connected to what, to some sky god? How will that help me live, be free? Hell if I did go to some church, I’d have to pay for that too. But even more troubling is that instead of getting connected, religion pulled the plug. Freedom mean choice and religion only gives you one reasonable choice. Believe in what they believe or be unreasonable and go to hell. What kind of freedom is that and can you believe people grew up with this stuff?

So what’s the answer? The only one I could come up with given my limited intelligence is that we gotta tell those folks who live to make money to fuck off. We gotta turn off the television, ignore the commercials, stop idolizing corporate America and instead learn how to talk to our friends and family. We gotta stop giving in to our mammalian brain and develop our cortex. We gotta stop being lead by the insecure towards or lower animal self. But man what a tall order. It’s much, much easier to absorb pleasure than to struggle with reflection.

So as I drive along in my almost new truck, I suppose I must stop being reflective and just enjoy the moment. Maybe if I stop thinking about shit like this and look at some pretty young girl in a halter top I’d be more normal and freer. At least that’s how the theory goes…

No comments: